Monday, February 13, 2023

Barren

Spring brings a fog
That cradles our belief
That home is not just an elusive boundary
Of imagined comfort and safety
An illusory hope, a mirage
But one we manifest concrete (or so we think)
With four walls, a two car garage...

The dead of winter clears the mind
Time slows, allowing for new sight
And we remember this is our sickness unto death;
Just like Thomas Wolfe said:
You can never go home again.

Return, return in the fall I did
To see what I'd left behind
A full season between us 
I walked for miles in a straight line
Searching the shore for your black truck,
Trying to imagine what it was
That had made you love this patch of beach so much.
Ready to give up, I rested by the surf to watch the osprey hunt
Many moments passed, yet none appeared
And I thought to myself,
"I'd never go fishing here."


No comments:

Post a Comment